Posted by Tim Vidra / Sunday, February 20, 2011
- We started by using a vintage coffee can with lid right in the kitchen. This is where we pitch any of the named items above.
- We broke down and purchased a new metal garbage can (I searched for weeks looking for an old rusty beat up can to re-purpose to no avail).
- I drilled holes about a quarter to half inch in size all over the sides of the can and 5 holes in the bottom.
- Added a layer of leaves in the bottom (had to get those darn things up anyway).
- Sprayed the leaves just to get them wet.
- I then added a layer of items we had been saving over the past week or so.
- Topped that with another layer of leaves and we have already begun adding another layer of items to compost.
- Finally I placed the can on two pieces of wood to keep it off the ground and allow for air to circulate throughout.
There you have it - Easy Peasy. I am now composting the remains of my local purchases and feel great about putting them back into the ground by creating a rich soil to grow my local veggies!
I of course compiled several different ways of composting from various on-line sources. If you are composting or just have some suggestions would love to hear them!
E.A.T. local E.A.T. well