Posted by Tim Vidra / Saturday, January 15, 2011
12 Day Vegan Challenge Results and Thoughts
Final vitals for day 12 of this challenge came in with the following: weight, 184 blood pressure, 128/88 after medication. I lost 2.5 pounds overall and my blood pressure really did not fluctuate all that much. In the beginning of the challenge and the first couple of days I felt good and was excited about the days ahead. As I reflect back, it started on my trip to Charlotte that I realized I truly am a carnivore. Below are a few things I learned:
- You can eat vegetables, rice, grains, beans, soy, nuts, fruit and truly be satisfied and full.
- Tofu prepared correctly is really good.
- Eating out is difficult in places that are not vegan friendly.
- You really have to pay attention to labels. Whey (as I later learned) is not vegan friendly.
- Buying and eating processed vegan food can be very expensive.
- You can buy basically anything vegan. BBQ sandwiches, chicken salad, pizza, burgers, and chicken wings.
- Being vegan requires thoughtful planning.
- I will incorporate more vegetables, grains, nuts, and fruit into my diet. Right beside a moderate portion of beef, chicken, lamb, fish, and dairy products that are organically, ethically, and locally grown or raised!
E.A.T. local E.A.T. well